Angel Radio began full-time broadcasting in 2002 and was originally financed with a £110,000 gift from Tony Smith, the station's founder, and £4,900 funding from the national lottery, which was used to equip our first (very basic) studio.
From those early days up to the present day the radio station has raised the money to keep it on air, and indeed expand its coverage, in many ways ......
* Commercial Advertising - In common with most radio and TV stations we run adverts which are paid for. However, unlike other stations, we are very careful when we take on a new client that their service is of benefit to our audience.
Unlike other stations we keep our programmes commercial-free and only run blocks of adverts between shows.
* Sponsorship - We have two types of sponsors. Individual listeners can sponsor their favourite shows or favourite presenters. Businesses can sponsor special features such as our daily exercises.
* Angels-for-Angel - These are our supporters who make regular donations each month by Standing Order. This is a very important source of income for us as it is a reliable, regular amount that we can rely on and budget with.
Donations currently range from £3 a month to £30 a month.
* Gift Aid - This is a way for the tax man to give
help to charities without costing the donor any
extra. If you donate to Angel Radio, and you are
a UK tax payer, please download our Gift Aid
form, complete and return it to us so that we
can claim an extra 25p on every £1 you give.
* Pay-to-Play - These are our fun fundraising days which we have 5 times a year. The whole day is dedicated to raising funds from listeners who phone or email their record requests and pledge a donation at the same time.
Pay-to-Play days have raised between £2,500 and £5,000 from around 350 phone calls and emails in a 15-hour session.
* PayPal Donations - These donations are great because they are quick & easy to make - just click the PayPal button on our website - and they usually come as a complete surprise to us. We also use PayPal to pay some of our regular bills such as our internet streaming and our website domains .... so we know that donations coming in are keeping up with outgoings. PayPal is also an easy way for us to receive payment for our eBay sales and sales of our own merchandise.
* Wills & Legacies - These donations are very useful to Angel Radio's continued success but we don't currently receive very many. Just one person remembering Angel Radio in their will can really mean the difference between continuing to struggle with finding funding, to being able to expand our broadcasts to hundreds of thousands more older people.
People who remember Angel Radio in their
will are, in return, remembered on air for their generosity.
* Bank Transfer - This is a nice quick and easy way to donate to Angel Radio. Here are our details -
Name: Angel Radio Limited
Bank: HSBC, 312 London Road, Waterlooville, Hants PO7 7DX
Sort Code: 40 – 23 – 20
Account No: 31366017
Branch Identifier Code: HBUKGB4133H
* Merchandise Sales - Although we have never really gone into sales in a big way, it is a form of income that perhaps we should look at again. Our mugs, lapel brooches, pens and tee shirts have all sold well but have also added to our workload ..... ordering / packaging / posting / etc.
We could also look into CD sales, but would need help and advice in taking this forward.
* Funded Projects - We have successfully completed many special projects which have been funded by the lottery, community grants, local councils, etc. We have completed a project that is aiming at helping to alleviate loneliness, not only for our existing listeners, but for other older people too. You can read all about this incentive by clicking the button on the right. Although donations via gofundme are now closed, you can still donate using the many other methods listed on this page.
* Charity Shop Sales - Yes we are a registered charity .... yes we have shop premises. Sadly our premises are almost entirely taken up with the radio studios, record library, etc, and we have very little space to store stuff that we could sell like a normal charity shop. However, Pam & Keith set up a sales table outside our studios a couple of weeks ago and made almost £200 in two hours. They are going to make this a monthly event at the same time we will also invite people in for a coffee and a look round the studios.
* Random Donations - Our listeners are very aware of the constant demand on our finances. We sometimes receive entirely unexpected donations from thoughtful people who pop in to see us, or send cheques, or as previously mentioned, via PayPal.
Angel Radio is a Registered Charity
Working to enhance the mental & physical wellbeing of older people
If your business would like to advertise with Angel Radio
If you would like to sponsor a programme or a drop-in
If you would like more information about
Angel Radio's next Pay-to-Play is
not yet organised.
8am - 11pm
To make a donation through PayPal to Angel Radio
please click here
For advice on remembering Angel Radio in your will
If you have any thoughts or would like to help create more sales of Angel Radio merchandise
These and all of the above ways to boost our income has kept Angel Radio on air, and expanding our coverage, since 2002 when we were licensed by the Radio Authority as an experimental 'Access' radio station. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to our funds and helped keep Angel Radio the UK's favourite nostalgia station.
If you would like to help on these days, or have good quality items we could sell
It currently costs over £80,000 to keep Angel Radio on air each year.
Our digital DAB broadcasts are our biggest outlay ...... next is the rent on our building ...... then electricity / telephones / internet / rental on transmitter sites / new equipment /
Angel Radio's Gift Aid form is available to download