The Borough of Havant is located in the County of Hampshire in The Southern Counties of England. It covers an administrative area of 55Km² and in 2001 was home to a population of 115,700 persons, that represents 0.24% of that of England.
Havant was once Hama's funta. Funta meant spring. A man named Hama once owned this one. Denvilles derives its name from the Saxon word Denn which meant woodland pasture for pigs. (The 'villes' was added much later). The Saxon word 'tun' meant farm or estate. Brockhampton was brook home farm. Lang is the Saxon word for long so Langstone was probably once a village by a long stone.
HAVANT IN THE MIDDLE AGES
At the time of Domesday Book (1086) Havant was a village with a population of about 100. It would seem tiny to us but towns and villages were very small in those days. Havant had 2 mills, which ground grain to flour to make bread for the villagers. One mill was Southwest of the town. The other was probably in Langstone.
St Faith's Church dates from the 12th century although it was largely rebuilt in the 19th century.
From a large village Havant grew into a small market town.
In 1200, Havant was given a charter (a document granting the townspeople certain rights). Among them was the right to have a weekly market. From 1451 Havant also had annual fairs. (In the Middle Ages fairs were like markets but they were held only once a year and would attract buyers and sellers from a wide area). Later (the exact date is unknown) Havant had a second annual fair. To us Havant would seem tiny. It probably only had a population of several hundred.
In the late Middle Ages and 16th century there was a wool industry in Havant but it declined in the 17th century. However there was an important industry tanning leather in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Havant had fellmongers (people who dealt in animal skins). Havant was also known for its glove making industry.